Monday, April 21, 2008

Cake cures all that ills the world (at least my world)

So what if it's not the BEST thing for me to be eating!? I know it wasn't what the docs had in mind when they encourage me to gain weight (so don't even THINK about commenting about that LOL). I've had an emotional series of days - first there was the realization of what I'm missing out on, then there was the cat being sick - then there was the Bob's recurring knee issues.

Yesterday it was the realization that once my cerclage comes out at 36 weeks and I'm taken off bed rest that baby O can arrive any time - which is very exciting yes, but then I realized that there's a good chance Bob won't be home if Baby O decides to show up in June instead of July. You see, the baby's due date isn't until July 23rd BUT they have to remove the cerclage stitch from my cervix at 36 weeks and give me some time off of bed rest to regain my strength and the docs have said that everyone is different - some people go immediately into labor upon removal of the stitches while others could go 3-4 weeks without any labor action. Anyway, we were talking about it, about our schedules and all, and Bob reminded me that his FMLA doesn't renew until July 1 because he depleted it last year due to his knee surgery and recovery. I suddenly was filled with visions of me going into labor while Bob is in the air or in a hotel across the country and me not having him here when the baby is born and I was so upset I began to sob and couldn't stop. Bob tried to explain it's out of his control - which I already know and this is why I was so upset - but that he'd write to the chief pilot and ask for advice on what to do given our circumstances. It was interesting to see/hear Bob and my Dad both desperate to find a "fix" to whatever it was upsetting me so that I would stop crying. My Dad even called my Mom to find out what to do and I found that out because my Mom emailed me to say "stop crying" (just between us, that was not helpful LOL - I know my Mom reads this haha). I did eventually stop crying once it was out of my system (although every time I think about the possibility of Bob not being present at the birth I start crying again - but at least not sobbing anymore - ugh). And, we have a new list of questions for Dr.N when we see him this week - about what our options are, if any, for helping sway Baby O's arrival date so that he shows up in July instead of June. Bob has also received word back from the Chief Pilot that they'll figure something out (between us - I'd put my money on Dr.N before I'd trust any members of management at the airline). So, we'll see.

After the crying stopped I realized I had to finish ordering the next batch of groceries online so as I proceeded to do that all I could think about was cake, or cupcakes. I ordered a boxed cake mix and a couple tubs of frosting. Figured if I did that I might not actually eat it but if I went straight for the cake from the bakery I would not hesitate so in my attempt to not rush into cake I'd go with cake that would actually have to be created before eaten.

The groceries arrived on schedule this morning. Within an hour, and without prompting at all, my Dad was baking the cake. He made a double-layer cake with this mix and he took the two types of frosting I ordered (chocolate and white) and creatively used the chocolate for the middle layer and as decoration around the edge of the top layer. When it was ready, he carried it upstairs and held it out like a trophy in my bedroom doorway to say "here you go!" while I was on a conference call. I had to mute my phone and laugh out loud. That call couldn't end soon enough - once it finally did, I used one of my trips downstairs to pile a huge piece of cake onto a plate and poured a tall glass of milk and retreated back to my bed/office to finish out the afternoon.

So, although my little plan for delaying the cake craving/desire didn't work, I'm glad. Cake was what I needed to feel better today. Thank you, Dad!!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I completely understand your being emotional about the cerclage and Bob's FMLA situation. Although I don't have the stitches I have a reoccuring dream I'll go into labor the first week of June when Chris is driving out to LA and Back. And hey... nothing wrong with some cake ;)

Amanda said...

I can't believe your Dad made a cake. My Dad would not even know where to begin (even with the directions)! Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a rough day! I'm so sorry about the FMLA stuff, and I hope your little one sticks around long enough that it won't be an issue. I think ordering a cake was a very natural response to that much stress. ; ) That's so sweet that your dad made it for you!

Anonymous said...

Well, here I am 3,000 miles away and your dad is calling me frantic about you crying. All I could think of was to tell you to stop crying!! Everything usually works out - are not you the one who always reminds me that worrying is a waste of energy? Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

"My Dad even called my Mom to find out what to do and I found that out because my Mom emailed me to say "stop crying" (just between us, that was not helpful LOL - I know my Mom reads this haha)."

- I really am enjoying reading all of this!! This is hilarious! I can just hear him!

Awww...what a sweet Dad! The cake WITH decorations?! Too cool!