Thursday, April 17, 2008

My furbaby is sick and I'm so sad

My 14-yr old kitty, Winnie, was diagnosed with early stages kidney disease last summer but had been doing quite well. In the last couple of weeks she's been vomiting - often food but more often clear fluid - and occasionally giving in to sudden urges to urinate wherever she is at the moment and that usually is the living room carpet but this morning it was our bed - right in front of us! She had just been outside and Bob watched her urinate in the flowerbed twice just 15 minutes earlier so when he watched her jump up on the bed and assume a suspicious peeing position he yelled out. Thankfully she had emptied most of her bladder outside and just released a few drops on the comforter but we both flew into action before realizing that. I chased the cat down the stairs and wrangled her into a pet carrier while Bob stripped the bed.

Because of her vomiting becoming more frequent these past several days I had an appointment set up for her to see the cat specialist vet this morning anyway (which is why I put her in the carrier). She needs to have blood work done and a urinalysis to look at the condition of her kidneys and see what else might be going on.

I know she's 14 and this is typical (kidney disease) for cats her age, but this is really upsetting me. Why now!? I can't take the stress and upset that goes along with this on top of everything else (confinement, disappointment, Bob's knee issues, etc.). Bob took her to the vet and they'll be calling us later to let us know what's going on. They probably won't get the test results back until tomorrow so Bob will pick her up this afternoon most likely.

Anyway, after that episode I laid back down and strapped on the monitor for my morning session and sure enough they called to tell me I had a couple of strong contractions. It's ok as long as I don't have more than 4 per hour (I had 2 that were close together at the start of the hour-long session). No other signs thankfully but since I was still upset (more waterworks) I decided I'd better get on my left side, get some water down and avoid additional stress so I notified work I'd be offline a couple of hours. I tried to nap but couldn't fall asleep so I just laid here and cried. I'm still crying. Damnit! Bob is so sweet - he came over and laid down next to me and pet my hair and told me she'd be ok - reminded me she turned out to be ok last time. I hope he is right.

My sweet Winnie is a wonderful kitty. I've had her since she was about 8 weeks old. She's independent and snotty but loyal and well behaved. She's a great judge of character and has been spot-on with her judgment of each person I've been in a relationship with since she's been with me. She adores Bob - he's the only one she has ever taken a liking to and she really loves him - sometimes I think he is her favorite now. She's been through countless moves, including three cross country moves and although she isn't a cuddler, she is always right there, nearby, keeping an eye out on me. When Bob isn't in the room, Winnie is laying on his side against the pillow. When I get up to relocate downstairs, she follows. She still has her spunk and enjoys racing up and down the hallway just before bedtime to taunt the dog and show us she's still got "it".

Well, I hope that the test results reveal that she does indeed still have a lot of healthy time left with us. I'm not ready to hear anything else right now.

2 comments:

Lizze said...

Honey, I'm so sorry you have to go through this on top of everything else. *hugs*

Nicole said...

The fact that she still shows she's got "spunk" is HUGE. Perhaps she just has a UTI or something. (my MIL's cat use to get them too) It sucks that it makes you worry, and I know the feeling. ;)*hugs*