Monday, July 28, 2008

Cleared for take off!

And I'm NOT talking about Bob taking off for work (thankfully) haha. Nope...I've been cleared to start exercising again (slowly and gradually - but hey, I'll take anything at this point after 5 months of bed rest followed by 5+ weeks of postpartum c/section recovery time so far). I had my 6-week check-up today (even though it's really only been 5 weeks and a couple days since Cooper was born - scheduling issue) and Dr.N said I'm healing very nicely and that I can start to do some walking and swimming - yay!!! I have to wait a few more weeks before I can do any abdominal exercises but that's OK because I lost so much muscle and strength from being in bed for so long that it'll be a while before I'm strong enough to really "workout". I have 35 lbs I need to lose before I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy weight - UGH - and I have to lose as much as I can before heading back to work in the fall so I can fit back into my work clothes - I don't want to waste money buying new clothes if I can help it - I'd rather spend that money on fun stuff for Cooper :) - so I'm motivated...just have to be careful that I don't do too much too soon.

Since my appointment we've gone on two walks today - this afternoon we had a short walk but it was too hot outside (over 90) to keep Cooper outside so we cut it short and decided to wait until it was cooler. Our second walk was around 9 pm and we had a nice long walk outdoors with Cooper. It was really nice having Bob on the walk with us. Cooper and I have taken some leisurely strolls through the mall recently while Bob is at the gym (since it's too hot to walk him outside) - now that I'm cleared to do more purposeful walking we'll be heading to the mall more frequently for air conditioned strolls (and, a little retail therapy won't hurt either haha).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mall?? Uh oh... As soon as I was able to head out, the mall became my (Josh's too I think?!)favorite place to venture too. I had a ball! I met other new moms, shopped, met coworkers/frieds for lunch, shopped, shopped... I had SO much fun and thoroughly enjoyed my maternity leave. Ron on the other hand, wasn't so fond of my mall outings! LOL!