Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cooper's belly aching and my lame boobs

Over the past 36 hours, Cooper has vomited the entire contents of 3 separate feedings (not consecutive feedings but random ones). Vomiting is typical for newborns but there are certain factors that make it cause for concern - the projectile/forceful nature (boy, does it fly!), volume (every bit that he's eaten during that feeding), and frequency (30-40% of his feedings over the past 24 hours) . We called the pediatrician and were asked to bring him in. So we did. We're just back and what we learned is that it could either be a developing allergy type reaction to the formula (which is milk-based), or it could be another problem - a thickening of the valve/muscle at the exit point of the stomach - which would require an ultrasound to diagnose and surgery to correct. We're hoping it's the former (actually, I'm hoping it's neither and is just a bad day or two with a belly ache).

Our game plan is to change him to a different formula for the next 24 hours and observe. If he continues to have random forceful vomit incidents then we call the doctor and set up the ultrasound to take a look. If he's doing better then we keep giving him the new formula and continue to see if that helps.

Although we started out great with the breastfeeding, things on that front have deteriorated rapidly. My milk supply never reached a healthy level (thank goodness we were supplementing from the beginning) even though we have tried so hard to make it work - Cooper has a great latch and seems to enjoy the nursing sessions at first but then gets frustrated when the well runs dry - which is usually pretty fast. I'm only producing .25-.75 oz per feeding (we know based on the consistent results of pumping) and while it's better than NONE at all, it's not nearly enough for Cooper. I've continued to pump and feed him the milk I do produce, but it is chased with 2-3 oz formula per session and that's how he's been able to maintain steady weight gain. I'm pretty disappointed by this because I really wanted the breastfeeding to work and I tried so many things to try to increase my supply, with the help of a very compassionate and helpful lactation consultant. I'm not giving it up totally, YET. I'll keep pumping and giving him what I get, but when it's time to return to work I will stop pumping as the time it takes to pump and the little amount that it produces will not be worth it and I will need that time back to rest since I won't have the help that I currently have (mom and Bob -- mom leaves tomorrow, Bob goes back to work soon).

On a happier note, while at the doctor's office Cooper was weighed. He is up to 6 lbs 12 oz! He's gained 13 oz in just 8 days! :) Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor little guy. : ( Tummy trouble is not fun. I hope the formula switch helps him out. Not sure if your LC told you this, but mine told me that the amount you pump isn't necessarily the amount that the baby gets. Some women can't pump at all even though they can feed their babies just fine. So just keep that in mind when you feed him at the breast. You might be making more than you think you are! : )

Lizze said...

I hope the new formula works for you. *hugs to all* My nurses at the hospital told me the same thing jenninsea was told - that the babies are better at getting the milk out than the pump. So the pumping amounts and nursing amounts may be very different.

Nicole said...

here's hoping the formula change works for you!!! :) Glad he's doing well otherwise. My little "tank" is getting use to things still. We'll be at the hospital till atleast sometime friday.