Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dinner


A few years ago, Bob and I took our first vacation together to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, so we could explore Yellowstone Park. We had a wonderful trip - saw all kinds of animals such as moose, elk, bears, and lots and lots of bison (aka buffalo). We went on this fun chuck wagon cowboy barbecue outing where we rode in a covered wagon to a campsite for an all-out BBQ dinner and entertainment. We also rode the incline cable thingy that took us up to 10,000 ft for amazing views. The park was so amazing too - all the geysers and wildlife.

Anyway, as we drove through Yellowstone we were constantly confronted by bison. They are enormous creatures and generally move very slowly unless they're startled or angered. They were everywhere. They'd walk along the roadside as cars passed. Often we'd be stopped because they'd be walking down the middle of the lane and we had to wait for them to move off the road or wait for the other lane to clear so we could pass them. When we stopped at a restroom station we found the entire building was surrounded by bison so we couldn't get out of the car and had to keep driving until we found a station not being guarded by bison.

I remember saying that seeing these giant but relatively gentle creatures (gentle because we kept our distance and didn't do anything stupid) made me never want to eat them or wear goods made from their hydes.

Well that was like three years ago and they're not anywhere near me now so I had to change my stance when Bob grilled up some bison steaks for dinner tonight and I got a whiff of that amazing smell that floated into the house from the grill. LOL YUMMY! If you've never tried buffalo steaks I encourage you to do so. They're just like beef only super lean and very flavorful. I'm sure it would have been even MORE tasty if I was willing to eat them slightly less cooked than I needed to have it due to being pregnant and not wanting to take any chances.

If you want to check it out, Bob ordered the meat from a ranch that sells online - http://www.highplainsbison.com/

So, short story long - dinner was fab!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

We had a pizzaria back home in CA that would put ground bison on pizza... my mom and Step-dork used to get it all the time. I unfortunately couldn't eat it... it made me sick :( not sure why. Glad you had a good dinner though!!!

Lissa said...

Sounds good. Although these days Baby doesn't let Mommy enjoy steak. Maybe Bison would be different though...hmmm. I've had Bison Stew several times and LOVE that! I'm glad you had a fabulous dinner!