Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The power of a tenth of a centimeter

Just back from my perinatologist's (Dr.S.) office (high-risk doc that performed my cerclage surgery and takes my cervical measurements). A month ago my cervix was 2.2 cm with no funnel and I was told that we need to stay above 2.0 to avoid hospitalization. Today, I'm at 1.9 cm with a small funnel that's begun to form. Not good.

Dr.S was quiet and pensive (with hand on his chin as he gazed at the u/s monitor) for a couple of minutes while I lay there on the u/s table and Bob sat in a chair beside me. We both knew something was up because the doc doesn't usually pause like that before laying the news on us. He said that 1.9 is cutting it very close but that he's going to treat it as if it were a 2.0 and imposed the following: even stricter bed rest rules - stay in bed except bathroom trips - no more meandering down/upstairs a few times a day like I had been allowed to do - I have to stay off my feet.

Dr.S said "you are to do nothing but incubate this baby for the next four weeks because I need you to get to 34 weeks. If you're any shorter at all in two weeks, we'll administer the steroids... and possibly admit you - depending on how that funnel and your cervical length is looking."

The baby is estimated to be right at 3 lbs. I was really hoping he'd be bigger but I'm thankful he's at least on track within normal range - just was hoping he'd be bigger given our circumstances. He's also still in breech position. Fluid levels are good though and he still has room and some time to turn but I have a feeling this little stinker won't turn -- I bet he took my lecturing to heart a couple months ago when he was head-butting my cervix and I told him he'd better knock it off. LOL I had a dream last night that I had a c/section delivery too. I'd prefer not to since it involves extended recovery time - Lord knows I've paid my dues when it comes to "down time" so I hope and pray that won't be necessary. But, if it comes to that then so be it. Whatever it takes to get him here safely.

I got home, crawled back into bed and within 5 minutes Winnie (kitty) puked all over the comforter! LOL So...that's the kind of day it's been so far. Oh well!

Thank goodness I got to come home because he very easily could have sent me straight to L&D to be admitted - and it wouldn't have been our local hospital either since there's no NICU here - it would've been 40 minutes away.

I'm also thankful my dad is here to help us out because Bob is having knee surgery on Thursday and he'll be bedridden for a few days too so we'll really need dad's help then. Obviously, since I've been on bed rest for 13 weeks already, I'm not stranger to the bed rest restrictions - BUT I went from strict bed rest with bathroom and up/downstairs privileges and what seemed like a stable cervical length for 2+ months to being even stricter no up/downstairs privileges and a shortening and funnelling cervix.

Permission to go get a massage is now revoked. :(

No more sneaky outings for me - I'm glad I got one out of my system on Sunday since I won't be getting out again for a month (except doc visits of course). Just stinky!! I'm too bummed out to have Bob take a pic of my haircut so I'm sorry but that will have to wait - I need some time to get over my disappointment so I can at least flash a smile when he takes it.

6 comments:

Lizze said...

I'm so sorry hon. *hugs* I think it's something with these male July babies. Between you, me and now maybe Nikky...insanity I tell you.

Nicole said...

Okay so today was not so good for you or me :( Modified bedrest here. So where is an oversized king size bed so we can just do this all together? ;) It would have to be better then how it's going now! Sorry about the massage privlages being revoked :( That just blows!

Amanda said...

It may not seem like it now, but this little boy will be totally worth all this craziness! (And Bob better make sure you get the best Mother's Day, birthday and Christmas presents from this kid forever! :)

Anonymous said...

:( Hang in there. You are in the home stretch now and what a prize at the end! If you go in the hospital is it to be put into a particular position or contraption? Have daddy make you some macaroni and cheese or onion soup - nice comfort food!

Love, Mom

Lissa said...

Sorry to hear this. Its a good thing you have your dad around, especially with Bob's surgery on top of everything. They say that after a woman gives birth, she forgets all the pain that went along with it. Lets hope in your case you can forget about all this and just focus on what a little miracle you have created. Eventually it will all be worth it, even though it may be hard to think that now. Take care and hang in there! Only a few more weeks compared to how much you've already done!

JEN said...

Hi Julie - I am just over 30 weeks, quite close to you. Keep the faith and sending good and healthy vibes your way.