Thursday, May 1, 2008

Restless legs, aching hips and back, oh my!

This bed rest is really catching up with me. Every day the physical pain and annoyances get a bit worse. At night I have incredibly restless and crampy legs that prevent me from falling asleep. Once I'm asleep I wake up numerous times due to the throbbing pains in my hips from laying on my sides all day and night. Then it seems that as soon as I'm asleep after switching sides I am awake again with an urgent need to pee.

Dr.N said he'd prescribe home-based PT services (to include massage) and that I need just to identify the provider from my insurance network. That was music to my ears until the search for such a provider began and quickly and abruptly ended. Most PT services providers in my area don't make house calls. The few that do make house calls either don't do prenatal massage or they're not willing to drive to where we are (which is so crazy because we're only like 15 miles from the place claiming it's too far). So then I tried calling all the home health service providers in the area - the first two I called have gone out of business. The five remaining providers in my network and within 20 or so miles of our house do not provide prenatal massage. Talk about frustrated! I FINALLY have a medical reason and a doctor willing to prescribe massage and yet I can't find a single provider covered by insurance to provide it.

So, of course, I'm going to have to find a massage therapist that is licensed and certified in prenatal massage and just pay out of pocket. That shouldn't be too hard, right? WRONG!! The first therapist I called had a website and a yellow pages ad claiming to be licensed and certified in prenatal massage. I emailed them, she called me back and tried to rush me into making an appointment. Believe me, I don't want to delay getting some pain relief - but I had questions. First and foremost, please give me your CA massage license/permit number so I may verify online with the state licensing board that you are qualified. You would think that I had just asked the girl to give me her social security number or something because she quickly replied: "that's personal information that I don't give out to clients." I literally laughed out loud in response to this answer. I told her that 1-that is not PERSONAL information - it's standard operating procedure for a business (and required by law in CA that it be provided upon request), and 2-I was not willing to do business with someone that isn't willing to comply with state law and display her permit/license to perform massage therapy and I promptly hung up the phone. Next!

I'll be calling Dr.N's office in the morning to ask for some referrals and pray they have some to offer up. So -- if anyone knows a good, qualified, licensed massage therapist certified in prenatal massage that does house calls in the San Fernando valley, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me their contact information.

Meantime, I've ordered a memory foam pad to put on my side of the bed and I really hope that helps some but I'm not very optimistic about that since I already use 5-6 pillows to help soften the impact and position me. One on each side of me to prevent me from rolling onto my back, one that goes between my knees, and two at the top of the bed for my head and shoulders. Fingers crossed that the memory foam will prove to be worth the expense (those things are crazy expensive!).

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Like I said on Lizze's blog last night... I wish I could package up my PT guy and send him to each of you :( I'm sorry that this has been such a rough experiance! Hopefully Dr N will have some helpful suggestions???