Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I survived my first work-free day!

Like most mornings, I was awake at around 4:30 am for my last of 5 trips to the bathroom during the "night". As I settled back into bed I remembered that it would be the first morning I wouldn't get up and log in for work so to help me avoid engaging in what has become a reflex (picking up the blackberry and reviewing what is in store for the day), I put an eye mask on before falling back asleep - this would help me sleep in (the kind you might use on an airplane).

We have a narrow, uncovered window that sits just above, and spans the length of, our double bedroom window and lets the sun shine through very brightly. It has worked wonders for ensuring I never oversleep on a work day and has been the cause of many a weekend morning misery when the sun awoke me far too early. The eye mask worked like a charm. Between that and the fact that the dog was kind enough to quietly wake up Bob when she wanted to eat, I managed to sleep until 9:15 am! Yay!

Once up, Dad brought me breakfast and then I had my first contraction monitoring session of the day and spent a couple hours watching TV - the second half Regis & Kelly, followed by The View. Checked my personal email, called the disability insurance company to tell them I officially stopped working (per their instructions from the last discussion with them), and soon enough it was time for lunch. Dad brought me lunch, followed by a slice of chocolate cake (yum) and a glass of milk.

The rest of the afternoon I watched more TV, including a silly movie about a golden retriever that inherits a billion dollar estate and is appointed CEO of a company. I didn't watch the whole movie, it was just too painfully silly. The golden was awfully cute though. I played a couple of video games online but that didn't keep my attention long so I went back to the TV.

I talked on the phone - spoke with my mom and my friend Felicia who is a stay-at-home mom with a beautiful one year old boy who I know will be Baby O's first childhood friend. Spoke to my doctor's office and found that the disability paperwork was ready for us to pick up (Dad will take me by there Thursday to pick it up on my way to my appointment with the specialist).

Next thing I knew it was 5:30 pm and I had made it - made it through the day without peeking at the blackberry or any work related systems/communications. Phew! :)

3 comments:

Lissa said...

I knew you could do it! And wow, sleeping from 4:30 to 9:30...that must have felt great! Sounds like quite the movie, I don't think I would have made it all the way through either. Glad to hear your first day went well! Hopefully the rest continue to go as well. Oh, and I had to vote for Cooper...I'm a bit partial to that name since it will be our second boy's name (assuming I get my 2 boys and 2 girls that I would ideally like).

Nicole said...

see I knew you could do it!!! :)

Lizze said...

Yay Julie! I knew you'd make it! Welcome to the "lazy" side of bed rest. ;) lol