Friday, May 2, 2008

"Vacation" days while on bed rest

Slept in today because I took the day off (yes, I'm still working, from bed, even though I'm on bed rest). Although, sleeping in these days really only means I slept an hour longer than usual because the sun screams through the bedroom and wakes me up anyway and by the time I think to put the sleep mask on it's too late and I can't fall back asleep. Today I especially needed the extra hour of sleep because I was up all night with awful restless and crampy legs. Seriously, it was so bad I was in tears until I finally fell asleep. After that I was up every couple of hours due to hip pain and the need to pee. We tried everything to relieve the leg issue - hot compress then cold compress, and Bob tried to rub the restlessness out of my legs. Nothing worked. ;( I read this is going to continue and likely worsen because I'm so inactive and not able to exercise. So, the search for a prenatal massage therapist continues - at least that would help with circulation which may help reduce this issue - if not, it will at least feel good at the time of the massage.

Seems so silly to me to take vacation days since I can't go anywhere or do anything other than lay in bed. But, I learned recently that because we couldn't take our planned spring vacation I have too much vacation time built up and once I reach the maximum amount (which I will by the time my maternity leave starts), I will begin to lose vacation time that would otherwise continue to accrue. In order to not lose the vacation time, I have to take time off. So to remedy the situation I'm taking Fridays off between now and when my maternity leave starts. It's hard not to give in to the temptation to look at work email since I'm on the computer anyway researching baby stuff and exchanging personal notes with friends and family. I ended up joining on conference call this morning and then peeked at work email and sent a couple replies out before I was promptly reminded by a colleague that I'm supposed to be on "vacation" today so I logged off the work network to remove the temptation. haha!

I am trying to spend less time on the computer now because in order for me to type I have to be on my left side (I'm right-handed) and all the extra time on that side is giving me a lot of pain and some bruising. So on my days off I'm doing a little of personal email and posting blog updates, reading others' blogs and then logging off and switching to reading the paper, books, and watching TV (boring!).

So besides that, today we've filled out the final paperwork for the cord blood registry agreement, filled out one of the daycare center registration forms and sent a check in to reserve a spot. This will have to be done for a few places since I can't go visit/interview but need to ensure we have a spot reserved and then after I'm off bed rest or after baby arrives and I can get around I'll go visit the places and make a decision about which one we'll go with.

Now that I've spent too much time on my left side already today, it's time to log off the pc, switch sides, and read the paper and watch TV. The nurse will be here soon to administer my weekly shot too.

No comments: