Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Let the assembly begin! Baby gear!

The shipments are beginning to arrive - for the baby gear we've been ordering online. It's kind of like Christmas since we're seeing these items for the first time when they arrive. Sure, we've seen pictures online, but like anything, you really can't tell from a picture how sturdy something is. So we looked at consumer reports and the retailer site's customer reviews of the products we were considering and then placing the order and keeping our fingers crossed that we'd be happy when the item(s) arrived.

The first baby gear item arrived today - the stroller/infant car seat travel system. Thankfully, it's as sturdy and attractive as we hoped it would be. I watched as Bob patiently assembled the stroller and tested out all the features and then the car seat too. I was pretty impressed with how patient and calm he was even though my dad was teasing him the whole time, offering to help "if it's too much for you to handle" LOL. Bob calmly replied "If I can fly a friggin jet, I can assemble a damn stroller for my kid." Dad and I totally cracked up. A minute later, Bob stabbed himself with one of the metal pins that is used to lock the wheels in place and he was bleeding on the stroller LOL. Again, he remained calm and wrapped the finger in a paper towel and continued working. Awww!! He's going to be such a good daddy!

Once everything was assembled, Bob decided to try to figure out how a child would be secured in the car seat, so he grabbed the cat - OK JUST KIDDING! No, he grabbed a stuffed animal that my mom sent for the baby and proceeded to buckle him in. He turns it to me and says "how's that!?" (with excitement). I had to quietly show him how the arms needed to go through the upper openings of the harness and the legs around the bottom part because he had the legs through the arm part. It was so cute. He took the fuzzy toy out and tried again and got it right the second time.

Here's a pic of the stroller/car seat system that we have for Baby Olsen - it's the Chicco Cortina Travel System - Sahara. The car seat carrier pops out of the car seat base and snaps into the stroller so you don't have have to wake the baby from a nap to move him to the stroller. Of course, if I were picked up by the bed and set down on another surface I'd probably wake up but we'll see...


Next shipment expected -- Baby Olsen's first bed - the bassinet! :)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I admit it - I laughed out loud literally at the story of Bob buckling in the stuffed toy - although come on don't you think Winnie would have liked a "ride"??? :) And WAY TO GO BOB! Staying calm with a peanut gallery of hecklers ;)

Anonymous said...

Well I must admit I'm impressed. Our pilot can put something together! It looks very nice and I'm so glad that Winnie had enough sense to run away from Bob...LOL

Don't buy too much - wait for me!!! I so want to go on a shopping spree with you. Love, Mom

Lissa said...

Glad to hear you are happy with the Chicco Cortina. I absolutely love it, and have heard such wonderful things about it from people I know who have it. I can't wait to get our stroller and see how Nick does at putting it together...hopefully he stays as calm as Bob.

Anonymous said...

Great story! Niceeee travel system!